Thursday, July 21, 2011

Test 3

Without references, took me about 2.5 hours. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started off. I just knew I wanted to paint on black canvas and paint light. Then I ended up with this one! I force myself to draw only simple big shapes. I think I'm somewhat successful for that. Only those three trees in the background that I dont like, their shapes are kinda repeated. I've never really paint a night scene before. The way I set up the light, I just make it really simple. Only one main light source on the right. Then I wanted to make it a little scary and I recognize a lot of scary movies espcially monster or werewolf movies like to set up second light source in the background to create depth and atmosphere. So I try to do the same. Overall I'm satisfy with the result. Good practice!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. Joe, My only crit would be that some foreground element would be nice. Maybe a moonlit werewolf looking at her from behind the shrubs!

    Also I think some rim lighting (perhaps from the moon) on the figure's left side would help a bit.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea i thought of rim light on the girl's left side, but i wasnt sure cus those light from the back ground is pretty far away so i only put rim light on her hair. And this is pretty dense forest, so perhaps moon light not strong enough to penetrate those trees. I actually had an idea of put some figure or just a shadow of something following her, or even put just a touch of red on the left side to give viewers somr hint of something bad follow her. But i kinda like the idea of letting viewer use their own imagination and only tell the story by her gesture. I dont know if it works but thank you for you crit Jon! Appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete